Hamilton Golf Club was founded in 1892 and was first located on a site near the now demolished Hamilton Palace, former home of the Dukes of Hamilton.
In 1925 the club moved to its present site and the new course layout was developed by the well renowned course designer, James Braid.
A feature of the original layout and typical of a Braid course is the number of bunkers which were included, all of which still come into play for the average golfer today. There have been few changes from the original layout. However, during the 1970s a large tree planting operation was undertaken which improved the layout to a tree-lined, undulating parkland course.
More recently a programme of reforestation has taken place in strategic areas of the course, along with improved drainage.